Artist – in- Residence at Kražiai College
Artist – in- Residence at Kražiai College is specializing in theater, music, literature and fine arts areas.
The aims of Artist – in – Residence:
• To open up the town of Kražiai for artists as a space for creation, work and rest, initiating long-term co-operation among Kražiai and Lithuania’s art scene as well as other foreign countries;
• To develop a favorable environment and stimulate innovative phenomena of art;
• To promote innovations of art education;
• To uphold culture of opera.
• To promote co-operation betweenthe Baltic Sea Region musical theater and opera makers;
• To organize a workshop of at least two days for a selective group of participants;
• To promote co-operation between foreign and Lithuanian composers;
• Artists will be invited to join the cultural and educational institutions of Kražiai organizing an open studio day of all the institutions once a month;
• To proclaim the town of Kražiai as a historical, educational and cultural center reverting it to the European cultural and educational map.
Applications and Selection
Artist –in – Residence is assigned for music makers. Composers studying music composition, and specializing in the field of musical theater are chosen. The most important selection criteria are: applicant’s experience and the quality of artistic practice.
Selection is based on the following information presented by applicant:
• Participants should send their curriculum vitae;
• Filling the application form; it isnecessary to present creative biography;
• Presenting planned activities for the residence period;
• Shortly describing the motivation to visit Kražiai.
Applicants are selected on the basis of compliance with the theme and the town, the originality of the content, meaningfulness and the ability to integrate into the Kražiai cultural life. The residents will be selected by a specially formed jury (Prof. M. Urbaitis, Sat. Nakas, V. Lukočius, etc.).
Applicants from abroad must know English language.
Apply by email: email@example.com
Jari Niesner (composer, Germany)
Inara Petruseviča (painter, Latvia)
Helena Goldt (singer, Germany)
Niklas Aurel Anczykowski (composer, Germany)
Marcus Gyllborg (photographer, Sweden)
Gabriele Micalizzi (photographer, Italy)
Carlos Andres Rico (composer, Colombia)
Matti Pakkanen (composer, Finland)
Indra Riše (composer, Latvia)
Laura Gustovska (composer, Latvia)
Charles Halka (composer, USA)
Alessandro Pagliazzi (conductor, pianist, educator, Austria)
Martins Vilums (composer, musicologist, Ph.D., Latvia)
Barbro Marklund – Petersone (the professor of The Academy of Music in Oslo, Norway)
Andis Petersons (the member of Association of Latvian vocal teachers, Latvia)
Jonas Sakalauskas (composer, singer, choir director, organizer of musical – theatrical events, Lithuania)
Vytautas Lukočius (an assistant in opera department of Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, concertmaster, conductor, music director of the project, Lithuania)
Activities of resident’s
There are one month residency period for each artist. It is planned to create three short operas and present them in Kražiai, Kelmė or other Lithuanian towns.
Activities of the project:
• Workshops – making and presenting short operas. The resident has to organize a two-day workshop for targeted audience.
• An Open Studio Day – residents are welcomed to join cultural and educational institutions of Kražiai. During an Open Studio Day residents and other participants initiate collective activities. Residents present their works to the visitors;
• Retrospective of a short modern operas – presenting the results of the project to community (operas);
• Video reviews – the world’s operas video public views and discussions.
Northern region of Lithuania stands unique for its historical cultural attractions, plenty of mansions and other places to visit.
Kražiai has a deep history. Monasteries and churches not only shaped the face of the urban campus, but also had a special significance for Samogitian and Lithuanian cultural and spiritual life. The first church in Samogitia was built in Kražiai. The late Baroque Church, named Bless Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception Church stands in the heart of town. This church is famous for massacre of Kražiai. Medžiokalnis – the hill where according to legend the goddess Medeina lived and had been burning the sacred fire.
Kražiai college residence is located in a restored seventeenth century Kražiai college building. There is a multifunctional Cultural Center of M. K. Sarbievijus now: library, museum, art gallery, tourism information center.
Kražiai college residence is one of the youngest residences in the region of Northern Lithuania. This residence is located in potentially attractive place and is full of ideas which will bring more positive results.